Verboden is a team-based competitive word-guessing game for fans of games like Taboo, Scattergories, and Catchphrase. Best played with 4-12 players.
The goal of the game is for your team to guess the most amount of words based on clues given by one member of the team. There are two teams for every game, with all players assigned to one of the two teams, but don’t worry — you can change who is on what team if you have insider knowledge that someone is a terrible guesser!
At the beginning of the first round, the first player starts off as the Quarterback (QB). Their job is to get the other players on their team to guess as many words as possible without skipping words or saying one of the verboden words. How it works:
- The keyword, as well as the 5 verboden words, appear on the Quarterback’s mobile device, as well as the mobile devices of the players on the opposing team
- The Quarterback gives clues to try and get their teammates to say the keyword while avoiding saying a verboden word
- The Quarterback’s teammates shout their guesses, and the QB tabs a button on their screen when a correct guess is said
- The other team acts as Referees for the round, and if the QB says a verboden word, one of the referees hits the “buzzer” on their mobile device, moving the word to the buzzed list
- If the QB doesn’t know the word or can’t think of a way to get their team to guess it, they can select the “Skip” button, which advances them to the next keyword
- When the timer ends it becomes the other team’s turn. After both teams have played, the round is complete, and the teams will see a round recap with all of the correct, banned, and skipped words, as well as their team’s score for the round. Players will then move on to the next round.
When all players have had a chance to be the Quarterback for their team, the game concludes and the team that has the most total points wins!